The cost of water damage to a home can range from $5,000 to $70,000 according to State Farm Insurance.
How Can Z-Wave Mitigate Flooding?
Flooding has been in the news a lot lately, especially on both coasts of the USA. While there isn’t much Z-Wave can do about heavy rain, it can notify you of impending water damage anywhere you can get the internet. You can return home to fix the flooding of a basement or crawl space, or it can be corrected by a family member or neighbor, who can perform some quick fixes to minimize the water damage.
Here are a few things you can do during a storm if you get notified by a triggered Z-Wave water sensor:
- Make sure the sump pump is operating; move the float up/down to check operation.
- Go outside to make sure that gutters are not clogged and overflowing into a soffit or wall.
- If there is a heavy rain, make sure downspouts and sump pump hoses are leading water away from the building.
- Clear leaves and debris from french drains.
- Move important documents and devices to higher ground.
How Can Z-Wave Mitigate Leaks?
Flood damage can be an act of God (storms, catastrophic regional infrastructure failure, etc) or it could be caused by a lack of maintenance, an older home, or just bad luck. In this case, Z-Wave can not only notify you of a leak, but also can automatically turn off the water before damage can occur.
Here are a few things you can do to safeguard your home against water damage:
- Install a Z-Wave water sensor (or sensors) and have your Z-Wave gateway turn off a Z-Wave water shut-off if a leak is detected.
- Inspect washing machine supply hoses as well as drains. Consider installing shut-off valves (manual or automatic).
- Refrigerator ice makers and permanently mounted dishwashers also have hidden water supplies that can cause a quiet, but steady leak that can go unnoticed. Put a water sensor here.
- Inspect pipes (supply AND sewer) for corrosion and damage.
- Install and maintain a sump pump in your basement if you have chronic water infiltration issues.
The Dome DMWS1 quickly alerts you to water, AND can be programmed by your Z-Wave Controller to automatically close the Dome DMWV1.
Use it with your Z-Wave Controller: Fibaro Home Center, HomeSeer, SmartThings, Vera, Wink, Zipato
See more on the Dome Leak Sensor and Water Shutoff on YouTube https://youtu.be/q8uZXkNbSlgShop Now